Job Sharing Policy
Job Sharing Policy
A member of the permanent teaching staff of S.N. Abbain may apply to work on a job-sharing basis under conditions set out in Chapter 9: Terms and Conditions for Registered teacher in Recognised Primary and Post Primary Schools: DES: July 2017. The following points outline additional factors influencing any job sharing arrangement:
- As a guiding principle, the welfare & educational needs of the children will be the underpinning factor in all issues around job sharing. Teachers applying for job sharing arrangement may be interviewed together or separately to assess the viability of their proposed arrangement.
- Special consideration shall be given by the Board of Management before approving job sharing for SET.
- Job sharing will not be practised in Junior Infants.
- Consideration will be taken by the Board on the maximum number of applications for leave (including Career Break, Exchange, Leave of Absence, Study leave, Job sharing and secondment) each year.
- Ion the event that the job sharing will take place in a mainstream class both teachers shall be present along with the principal at a special meeting with parents/guardians explaining the strategy employed to manage, teach & assess the class through a job sharing scheme. ( 1.3 Chapter 9: Terms and Conditions for Registered teacher in Recognised Primary and Post Primary Schools: DES: July 2017)
- In consultation with the Principal both teachers shall prepare together a full year’s work-plan as well as a weekly/fortnightly scheme for the class. At the end of each month both teachers will complete a detailed report (Cúntas Míosúil) of the curriculum taught and the progress made by the children during the month under both teachers.
- Copies of the long-term plan, short-term plans and monthly reports will be presented to the Principal teacher at the appropriate times.
- Together both teachers will prepare an agreed weekly and daily timetable.
- Job shares are required to maintain a diary in which records of progress and important events shall be noted. Both teachers shall communicate for sufficient of time after school at the end of each teaching shift to discuss and prepare the necessary handover.
- As a general principle both teachers will display significant flexibility in relation to absences, holidays and also ensuring the class’s participation in school events will continue to happen normally.
- The two teachers will work on the basis of week on – week off or a split week.
- Both teachers will be present for any scheduled parent/teacher meetings.
- A teacher who is job sharing is entitled to take two EPV days. This would put a cap of a maximum of four EPV days per job share.
- A job sharing teacher must be available for relevant staff meetings and in-service training.
- End of year school reports will be jointly filled out by both teachers for each child.
- The Board of Management reserves the right to terminate a job sharing agreement at any time, in the event that it is not operating in the best interests of the pupils and the school.
- All applications are subject to a qualified replacement teacher being secured.
- Each job sharing agreement will be reviewed at the end of each school year.
- An application must be made to the Board of Management on prescribed form JS1 by 1st February of the year in which the teacher proposes to take the leave. Applications must be made and approved on an annual basis.
- Teachers will be notified in writing of the Board’s decision by 1st March of that year.
- Teachers shall apply for job sharing on an individual basis.
- The principal will decide on the pairings and class for the following school year.
- This will be agreed in advance with the principal and shall hold for one year.
- Post holders who are job sharing and who opt to retain the full post holds allowance shall attend all meetings relevant to that post holders duties.
- This policy is subject to annual review by the Board of Management.
For further information please refer to:
- Chapter 9: Terms and Conditions for Registered teacher in Recognised Primary and Post Primary Schools: DES: July 2017
This policy was ratified by the Board of Management on _____________________