St. Abban is the patron saint of Adamstown. He was born in County Meath in the sixth Century. Born a prince, he was the son of Cormac, King of Leinster. His mother Miolla was the sister of St. Ibar.
St. Ibar , considered the apostle of Wexford, founded a Monastery in Beig-
St. Abban’s Church, Graveyard & Cross
The present Church which is dedicated to St. Abban was built in the year 1835. Rev. Peter Sinnott was involved in the building of both Adamstown and Raheen Churches. Stones from the ancient Parish Church of Doononey were used in the Adamstown project. The tower of Adamstown Church fell on March 10th 1872-
Adamstown Graveyard is steeped in history. It contains examples of stonemasonery and craftsmanship by Myles O’ Brien who was renowned in the 1780’s and the 1790’s as one of the greatest craftsmen of his time. Headstones carved by him frequently depicted the crucifixion, the sun and the moon as well as the lotus tree which was a symbol of the resurrection. Brian J Cantwell in October 1984 said of Adamstown Graveyard “ It is a credit to the community of Adamstown, containing the largest collection of passion type carvings of any graveyard in the southern part of the county”
St. Abban’s Cross
Measuring more than 3 metres high, cut from granite and thought to date back to the eight century.
According to local folklore ” if a person stands with his back to the cross and is able to span it, he will be cured of back ailments ”.